Skip to main content

The Dictionary of Corruption


I want to say a big thank you to everybody that came to my book launch last Thursday. My deepest regards to my close friends who supported me throughout the drafting of my 1st book.

The Dictionary of Corruption presents 270 words and expressions that are commonly used by citizens talking about political and business life issues.

Corrupt politicians, corrupt businesses, most of all, corrupt citizens. The words people use indicate deep and inherit characteristics, and at the same time, represent the lack of progressiveness in our society and sometimes economic backwardness.

Corruption is a social characteristic. It is neither good nor bad; it is a social phenomenon, and needs to be handled as such in order to be eradicated form political, business and everyday life.

Comments

  1. I have just purchased your book (λεξικό) and I am not sure what value it offers. Perhaps I was expecting an expose on corruption in the form presented in the introduction and the epilog. But that was my assumption and the book’s title clearly said λεξικό. Obviously it is a reference book and not a book one would read cover to cover. Returning to the question of value, if the intent was to educate the reader in the subtleties of corrupt communication (subculture perhaps) so that the reader can either participate in corrupt activities more effectively or somehow help him avoid some of the impacts of such activities, I don’t think it does neither. If the intent was to raise awareness, you are “beating a dead horse”, the population is acutely aware down to the least sophisticated of us. The only merit that I can derive is in the realm of entertainment reading but the format is hardly conducive to such reading. If your aspirations are to write a follow up, perhaps a traditional book format that exposes the magnitude of corruption in the country, its toll on productivity, creativity and the quality of life in general including some real life examples would be of real value. If it raises the consciousness level of at least a few people a notch, it could be a step towards a grass roots movement to eradicate an ethical -socio-economic disease that by all accounts afflicts our country.
    I was surprise though by the last statement in your blog entry: “Corruption … is neither good nor bad; it is a social phenomenon, and needs to be handled as such in order to be eradicated form political, business and everyday life”. If it is not bad why does it need to be eradicated? Obviously it is bad for all the reasons you outline in the introduction of your book and the reasons that Western Europe and North America over the years have dealt severe blows to corruption in government and business in general. I am not saying that counties in those regions have completely eradicated corruption but it is not endemic to the population in general – a college grad does not need to know a politician to get a job!
    Spiros Manolis
    Nafpaktos, Greece
    Email: spirocm@msn.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Iranian elections, so what?

There has been so much press coverage on the fallout after the Iranian elections, and most of it coming from social media sources, YouTube, twitter, facebook, Blogs etc. What I don't understand is that: Did people in Iran just woke up to their reality? They are living in a totalitarian state, under the dictatorship of a religious figure (Ali Khamenei), citizens are afraid to talk openly, and always need to be anonymous in case someone from the state comes knocking at their door. So, did some people in Iran just woke up? Why did they have to wait for an election to protest and express their concerns? If the system is corrupt and biased towards the population now, then it must have been like this before the elections! I did also manage to watch some of the press conferences by the Iranian State representative, but I have not seen anything from the Mousavi campaign. Why doesn't the Mousavi campaign have a daily press briefing? Why doesn't Mousavi go on an Interview with a ...

EU - Greece - hammer and sickle

So, I traveled to Thessaloniki for the Greek Easter, and you can imagine my surprise when at the tolls just outside Athens I saw these flags by the Greek Communist Party please note the hammer and sickle symbol at the top of the flags. Now, my first reaction was total surprise! I asked myself whether this photo would be possible on any other European highway; I am now back in Vienna, Austria and it really strikes me as impossible. Also, along with the flags, there were volunteers covering all lanes, with fryers explaining the values of the communist party with the slogan "Trust the KKE in the upcoming EU elections". I must say that this is one of the first campaign moves from a Greek Political party for the upcoming European elections, scheduled between 4 and 7 of June 2009. The message was clear enough: even if you don't agree with the Communists, vote for them in the European elections to send a "message"... whatever that means... Also in the same fryers the...

Become a Member of the Conservatives and get free wine!

In a recent email to supporters, the UK Conservative Party asks people to become full members of the party in order to help shape party policies, attend party Conferences and select the Party's candidates. Also worth mentioning.. members get a free Membership card. That's all good, but then the email also offers a £40 wine voucher if you register now! WTF? As an added bonus, new Members will also get £40 off at Naked Wines . After joining online, you'll be directed to the Naked Wines website - where you'll get £40 off any case of wine worth £59.99 or more. (You must be 18 years old to take advantage. Terms and conditions apply More info about the free wine at the Conservative website here .  I believe this offer from the UK conservatives is hilarious!  There are so many ways to rip on this move! But as they say in their email (after ordering the free wine):  join today and help shape the future of your Party and your country .  I wonder if the deci...