Skip to main content

President's facebook townhall & creative online campaign tactics

So, Tim Pawlenty tweeted before the President's facebook townhall:
Have a tough question for @BarackObama's Facebook townhall today, submit questions that are unlikely to be answered here
When I saw this I thought that it would link to the facebook live page so that people would actually ask the President all the "questions that are unlikely to be answered" but no... it linked to a page at the T-Paw website with a condescending photo of Obama asking people to:
"Use the form below to let us know what questions need to be addressed but won't be asked at tomorrow's campaign event."
This is so wrong in terms of new media communications in Politics!

If T-Paw actually directed people to the facebook live page it could have been a really great tactical move to actually get his followers to ask the questions that "need to be addressed" at the actual event that they could have been addressed!

It could have been a really smart move by T-Paw to act open and transparent, ask followers to watch Obama and flood the facebook live wall with republican messages and questions that "need to be addressed".

Not to mention what the official http://www.gop.com/ could have done...

Harnessing online technologies to engage with people can provide many opportunities for actual communication points; but the candidates need to do one thing first: Actually harness the opportunities and ask supporters to help! That's it!

Anyhow, I expect to see more smart and creative online campaign tactics; hopefully the 2012 campaigns will use more creative thinking in the coming months.

Now, on the President's presence at facebook HQs: I would say that it was a great event, really good organized, however, I expected more questions from facebook users rather than questions from facebook employees.

You can watch the President's facebook townhall here:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iranian elections, so what?

There has been so much press coverage on the fallout after the Iranian elections, and most of it coming from social media sources, YouTube, twitter, facebook, Blogs etc. What I don't understand is that: Did people in Iran just woke up to their reality? They are living in a totalitarian state, under the dictatorship of a religious figure (Ali Khamenei), citizens are afraid to talk openly, and always need to be anonymous in case someone from the state comes knocking at their door. So, did some people in Iran just woke up? Why did they have to wait for an election to protest and express their concerns? If the system is corrupt and biased towards the population now, then it must have been like this before the elections! I did also manage to watch some of the press conferences by the Iranian State representative, but I have not seen anything from the Mousavi campaign. Why doesn't the Mousavi campaign have a daily press briefing? Why doesn't Mousavi go on an Interview with a ...

EU - Greece - hammer and sickle

So, I traveled to Thessaloniki for the Greek Easter, and you can imagine my surprise when at the tolls just outside Athens I saw these flags by the Greek Communist Party please note the hammer and sickle symbol at the top of the flags. Now, my first reaction was total surprise! I asked myself whether this photo would be possible on any other European highway; I am now back in Vienna, Austria and it really strikes me as impossible. Also, along with the flags, there were volunteers covering all lanes, with fryers explaining the values of the communist party with the slogan "Trust the KKE in the upcoming EU elections". I must say that this is one of the first campaign moves from a Greek Political party for the upcoming European elections, scheduled between 4 and 7 of June 2009. The message was clear enough: even if you don't agree with the Communists, vote for them in the European elections to send a "message"... whatever that means... Also in the same fryers the...

Twitter mistakes in Political Communications

A recent tweet from President Obama... stated : President Obama urges Congress to pass the infrastructure section of the American Jobs Act now. Listen live: http://wh.gov/live I have seen this in many tweets from politicians that have communications staffers operate their Social Media presence. This tweet is absolutely wrong! Barack Obama says: "President Obama urges Congress..." instead of writing "I urge Congress..." the copywriter wrote a tweet as if he/she is writing on their personal account. Clearly a big Social Media mistake.. P.S. IAB!